Thursday, August 07, 2014

Finding the magic, courage and faith in the pursuit of openness... maybe.

In the lifelong pursuit of being a member of the collective world, some things help facilitate things between all of us on this planet. because left to our unhampered instincts, I think we would be quite feral.

Communication is pretty much at the forefront of that, wouldn't you say?

By that, I suppose I mean relationships.

Of course, animals develop relationships, bonds, and/or what have you... but there is a something among humans that relies on all forms of communication.

While I would say this is true of everyone, I think it is especially for people like me, who have chosen to embrace more than one region and thus have to navigate different cultures, environments, and things of that nature,

I came across this article, which got me to thinking about its list of 5 things that are better than being right (which I saw as a catchy article title that is ultimately about things that make you a better part of a community).

My first reaction was to Openness, something I am not all that good at. 

I tend to keep things closely guarded and close. I don't reveal things until I have to or if I must.  There are many conversations with family in which I will hear them say "I didn't know that, what didn't you tell me?"

I don't know if I have always been this way, but I think I am less open now than I was in... say, my teens. But, I think a lot of teens are that way.

So, I was struck by the notion of openness.

And as always I refer to consensus of definition and look to a dictionary (in this case dictionary.com). The two relevant parts of the definition are here:

  • ready to entertain new ideas; not biased or prejudiced: an open mind
  • unreserved or candid
I think I have a better grasp on the first one, I will listen, though I do tend to put things I am told to some rigor. I think this drives some people nuts, and if they waffle and refuse to accept consensus of definition, I tend to close off because who can argue with someone that sets up circular non testable arguments. 

So problem number one - I lose faith.




Faith is a state of openness or trust. ~ Alan Watts  


I do not talk about politics and religion with people. Oh, I will skim the surface so there is an impression of what I actually think and believe but, most have no idea... and we have problem number two.

I refuse the magic.


There's just some magic in truth and honesty and openness. ~ Frank Ocean


So, I tend toward duty, and consider myself courageous in many ways. I don't forgo new opportunities out of something like fear, but I do tend to default to duty.


So, here, in this instance, I lack courage.

“It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else.”  ~ Erma Bombeck


The good news is that these are all things I can work on... if I want to be more open, that is... not sure what that would look like for me? I like things protected and nestled in the sacred spaces of my soul. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if Alan Watts is right. Good lessons tho

Blair said...

Interesting, why do you say that? I would think faith requires openness and trust