Friday, February 29, 2008
Thursday, February 28, 2008
One thing that being able to say from an Anthropological perspective is that when one moves to a different country and has to acculturate that the hardest change is the food. The new country often doesn't have the same fruits or vegetables, the cheeses are different... and you miss those tastes from another place, a place where one was comfortable... well, they linger in the mind, thankfully giving plenty of happy memories. Needless to say, growing up in Ecuador and going to University there provided me with a well rounded appreciation for Ecuadorian food!
I am so in love with her blog, it features tastes and colors and I think it may be the presentation of the plates she photographs so beautifully... but I am thrilled that I have access to both the English and Spanish version (as at my first glance noticed they are slightly different).
Thank you Laylita, it is a treasure to see recipes to some things I never prepared, variations on things I did (but in a different way) and the knowledge that I can get naranjilla somewhere, if I look hard enough (I miss juice made from that and tomate de arbol).
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
#1. Do you ever use scissors to cut any foods? Which? Raw or cooked?
Yes; meats, cherry tomatoes, something else I am sure; raw AND cooked but I would wash them well in between.
#2. Popcorn. Homemade, microwave, bagged, hot, cold. How do you like it?
Homemade, hot with salt and real butter or cold in a bowl of milk
#3. Sushi. Love it or hate it?
I like it.
#4. Share a dessert recipe.
My favorite flan.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, cook over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and boil(no stirring), until caramel is a medium brown color. Pour the caramel into mold.
Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, 2 tbsp. sugar, cornstarch, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Put into the mold. Place in a large roasting pan. Pour HOT water in the roasting pan until it is about 1 inch deep. Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes. Chill for several hours or overnight.
To unmold you can 1) run a sharp knife around the rims and gently shake to loosen or 2) place in a bath of hot water for a few seconds until sides loosen. Invert onto a plate.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Thursday, February 21, 2008
if she were sick and on some strong medications for cough, alive in the current era, had her in-laws living with her, a cute little boy... and were a goofy white hispanic girl that likes to pretend to play "insert official title here" on TV.
Oh, and she approves this message.
Monday, February 18, 2008
b) Find page 123.
c) Find the first 5 sentences and read them.
d) Post the next 3 sentences.
Light colored the sky and her body was as a dough of constantly changing tints. She took me. My body quivered as though feverish, then I fell.Depending on how one counts sentences I could also add this very next one:
And it was a very long way.
Little Mountain by Elias Khoury - the latest in my quest to read myself around the world.
This book was a surprise, I have not read much literature from Arabic or Middle Eastern authors... the foreword was educational and very helpful in reading the novel and being able to understand some of the form in at least a cultural context.
This managed to get the sexiest part of the book, the rest is about the horrors in Beirut in the late 60's and 70's from the point of view of a fighter, a civil servant and an intellectual (he narrates the above section).
I am now looking for the next country... any ideas?
Saturday, February 16, 2008
FFOF questions #18
#1. Steak. Plain, steak sauce, hot sauce, ketchup or something else?
Plain, with salt and pepper.
#2. Water. Flavored, plain, carbonated. How do you like it?
Plain, cold and lots of ice.
#3. What’s your favorite kind of waffle?
I like plain waffles, with butter and corn syrup poured on top
#4. If you could have any one new small appliance for your kitchen what would it be and why?
I think I would like a food saver, because I just like the idea of them.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Saturday, February 09, 2008
Salt and vinegar
#2. Do you use butter, margarine, both or neither?
both, prefer butter.
#3. What’s your favorite mixed alcoholic (or virgin) drink?
#4. What’s your favorite vegetable and how do you prepare it?
I like broccoli; lightly steamed (still a bit crunchy) with butter (not margarine) and/or edamame in the pod with sea salt.
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
My husband is not a citizen (yes, he is legally here), in order to open a dialog about American politics I offered him my vote... I would vote his choice.
It was a tough thing for me, I have never missed an election, and in a way I feel like I missed this one... in the end however, he chose a primary candidate I could live with.
I am honored that he took it so seriously, that it was something we talked about and thought about. In some ways, giving him this little thing that he could not yet do, brought us closer together.
I have respected the American right to vote since before my very first election (which was way back in 80's).
I gave him my sticker. I am thrilled he wears it proudly.
Monday, February 04, 2008
So, here is my list (I have read a few from her "already read" list, so in order to facilitate things, I copied that from her):
Ecuador - Living Poor
Austria - A Death In Vienna
Russia - A Day in the life of Ivan Denisovich
China - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Australia - Mutant Message Down Under
Republic of Lebanon - Little Mountain
Italy - The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana
Powered by Goodreads.com
Have a great suggestion or two? Leave a comment!
The working list of countries (from wikipedia):
- Afghanistan – Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
- Akrotiri and Dhekelia – Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia (UK overseas territory)
- Åland – Åland Islands (Autonomous province of Finland)
- Albania – Republic of Albania
- Algeria – People's Democratic Republic of Algeria
- American Samoa – Territory of American Samoa (US territory)
- Andorra – Principality of Andorra
- Angola – Republic of Angola
- Anguilla (UK overseas territory)
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Argentina – Argentine Republic
- Armenia – Republic of Armenia
- Aruba (Self-governing country in the Kingdom of the Netherlands)
- Ascension Island (Dependency of the UK overseas territory of Saint Helena)
- Austria – Republic of Austria
- Azerbaijan – Republic of Azerbaijan
- Bahamas, The – Commonwealth of The Bahamas
- Bahrain – Kingdom of Bahrain
- Bangladesh – People's Republic of Bangladesh
- Belarus – Republic of Belarus
- Belgium – Kingdom of Belgium
- Benin – Republic of Benin
- Bermuda (UK overseas territory)
- Bhutan – Kingdom of Bhutan
- Bolivia – Republic of Bolivia
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Botswana – Republic of Botswana
- Brunei – Negara Brunei Darussalam
- Bulgaria – Republic of Bulgaria
- Burkina Faso
- Cambodia – Kingdom of Cambodia
- Cameroon – Republic of Cameroon
- Cape Verde – Republic of Cape Verde
- Cayman Islands (UK overseas territory)
- Central African Republic
- Chad – Republic of Chad
- Chile – Republic of Chile
- Christmas Island – Territory of Christmas Island (Australian overseas territory)
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands – Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australian overseas territory)
- Colombia – Republic of Colombia
- Comoros – Union of the Comoros
- Congo – Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Congo – Republic of the Congo
- Cook Islands (Associated state of New Zealand)
- Costa Rica – Republic of Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire – Republic of Côte d'Ivoire
- Croatia – Republic of Croatia
- Cuba – Republic of Cuba
- Cyprus – Republic of Cyprus
- Czech Republic
- Denmark – Kingdom of Denmark
- Djibouti – Republic of Djibouti
- Dominica – Commonwealth of Dominica
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor – Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
- Egypt – Arab Republic of Egypt
- El Salvador – Republic of El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea – Republic of Equatorial Guinea
- Eritrea – State of Eritrea
- Estonia – Republic of Estonia
- Ethiopia – Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- Falkland Islands (UK overseas territory)
- Faroe Islands (Self-governing country in the Kingdom of Denmark)
- Fiji – Republic of the Fiji Islands
- Finland – Republic of Finland
- France – French Republic
- French Polynesia (French overseas collectivity)
- Gabon – Gabonese Republic
- Gambia, The – Republic of The Gambia
- Germany – Federal Republic of Germany
- Ghana – Republic of Ghana
- Gibraltar (UK overseas territory)
- Greece – Hellenic Republic
- Greenland (Self-governing country in the Kingdom of Denmark)
- Guam – Territory of Guam (US organized territory)
- Guatemala – Republic of Guatemala
- Guernsey – Bailiwick of Guernsey (British Crown dependency)
- Guinea – Republic of Guinea
- Guinea-Bissau – Republic of Guinea-Bissau
- Guyana – Co-operative Republic of Guyana
- Haiti – Republic of Haiti
- Honduras – Republic of Honduras
- Hong Kong – Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (Area of special sovereignty)
- Hungary – Republic of Hungary
- Iceland – Republic of Iceland
- India – Republic of India
- Indonesia – Republic of Indonesia
- Iran – Islamic Republic of Iran
- Iraq – Republic of Iraq
- Isle of Man (British Crown dependency)
- Israel – State of Israel
- Jersey – Bailiwick of Jersey (British Crown dependency)
- Jordan – Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
- Kazakhstan – Republic of Kazakhstan
- Kenya – Republic of Kenya
- Kiribati – Republic of Kiribati
- Korea, North – Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Korea, South – Republic of Korea
- Kosovo – Republic of Kosovo
- Kuwait – State of Kuwait
- Kyrgyzstan – Kyrgyz Republic
- Laos – Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Latvia – Republic of Latvia
- Lesotho – Kingdom of Lesotho
- Liberia – Republic of Liberia
- Libya – Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
- Liechtenstein – Principality of Liechtenstein
- Lithuania – Republic of Lithuania
- Luxembourg – Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Macao – Macao Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (Area of special sovereignty)
- Macedonia – Republic of Macedonia
- Madagascar – Republic of Madagascar
- Malawi – Republic of Malawi
- Maldives – Republic of Maldives
- Mali – Republic of Mali
- Malta – Republic of Malta
- Marshall Islands – Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Mauritania – Islamic Republic of Mauritania
- Mauritius – Republic of Mauritius
- Mayotte – Departmental Collectivity of Mayotte (French overseas collectivity)
- Mexico – United Mexican States
- Micronesia – Federated States of Micronesia
- Moldova – Republic of Moldova
- Monaco – Principality of Monaco
- Montenegro – Republic of Montenegro
- Montserrat (UK overseas territory)
- Morocco – Kingdom of Morocco
- Mozambique – Republic of Mozambique
- Myanmar – Union of Myanmar
- Nagorno-Karabakh – Nagorno-Karabakh Republic
- Namibia – Republic of Namibia
- Nauru – Republic of Nauru
- Nepal – State of Nepal
- Netherlands – Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Netherlands Antilles (Self-governing country in the Kingdom of the Netherlands)
- New Caledonia – Territory of New Caledonia and Dependencies (French community sui generis)
- New Zealand
- Nicaragua – Republic of Nicaragua
- Niger – Republic of Niger
- Nigeria – Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Niue (Associated state of New Zealand)
- Norfolk Island – Territory of Norfolk Island (Australian overseas territory)
- Northern Cyprus – Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
- Northern Mariana Islands – Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (US commonwealth)
- Norway – Kingdom of Norway
- Oman – Sultanate of Oman
- Pakistan – Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- Palau – Republic of Palau
- Palestine – Occupied Palestinian Territories
- Panama – Republic of Panama
- Papua New Guinea – Independent State of Papua New Guinea
- Paraguay – Republic of Paraguay
- Peru – Republic of Peru
- Philippines – Republic of the Philippines
- Pitcairn Islands – Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie, and Oeno Islands (UK overseas territory)
- Poland – Republic of Poland
- Portugal – Portuguese Republic
- Puerto Rico – Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (US commonwealth)
- Qatar – State of Qatar
- Saint Barthélemy – Collectivity of Saint Barthélemy (French overseas collectivity)
- Saint Helena (UK overseas territory)
- Saint Kitts and Nevis – Federation of Saint Christopher and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Martin – Collectivity of Saint Martin (French overseas collectivity)
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon – Territorial Collectivity of Saint Pierre and Miquelon (French overseas collectivity)
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Samoa – Independent State of Samoa
- San Marino – Most Serene Republic of San Marino
- São Tomé and Príncipe – Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe
- Saudi Arabia – Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Senegal – Republic of Senegal
- Serbia – Republic of Serbia
- Seychelles – Republic of Seychelles
- Sierra Leone – Republic of Sierra Leone
- Singapore – Republic of Singapore
- Slovakia – Slovak Republic
- Slovenia – Republic of Slovenia
- Solomon Islands
- Somaliland – Republic of Somaliland
- South Africa – Republic of South Africa
- South Ossetia – Republic of South Ossetia
- Spain – Kingdom of Spain
- Sri Lanka – Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
- Sudan – Republic of the Sudan
- Suriname – Republic of Suriname
- Svalbard (Territory of Norway)
- Swaziland – Kingdom of Swaziland
- Sweden – Kingdom of Sweden
- Switzerland – Swiss Confederation
- Syria – Syrian Arab Republic
- Tajikistan – Republic of Tajikistan
- Tanzania – United Republic of Tanzania
- Thailand – Kingdom of Thailand
- Togo – Togolese Republic
- Tokelau (Overseas territory of New Zealand)
- Tonga – Kingdom of Tonga
- Transnistria – Transnistrian Moldovan Republic
- Trinidad and Tobago – Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
- Tristan da Cunha (Dependency of the UK overseas territory of Saint Helena)
- Tunisia – Tunisian Republic
- Turkey – Republic of Turkey
- Turks and Caicos Islands (UK overseas territory)
- Uganda – Republic of Uganda
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom – United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Uruguay – Eastern Republic of Uruguay
- Uzbekistan – Republic of Uzbekistan
- Vanuatu – Republic of Vanuatu
- Vatican City – State of the Vatican City
- Venezuela – Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- Vietnam – Socialist Republic of Vietnam
- Virgin Islands, British – British Virgin Islands (UK overseas territory)
- Virgin Islands, United States – United States Virgin Islands (US organized territory)
- Wallis and Futuna – Territory of Wallis and Futuna Islands (French overseas collectivity)
- Western Sahara
- Yemen – Republic of Yemen