Wednesday, February 27, 2008

FFOF #19

I managed to do it again!

#1. Do you ever use scissors to cut any foods? Which? Raw or cooked?

Yes; meats, cherry tomatoes, something else I am sure; raw AND cooked but I would wash them well in between.

#2. Popcorn. Homemade, microwave, bagged, hot, cold. How do you like it?

Homemade, hot with salt and real butter or cold in a bowl of milk

#3. Sushi. Love it or hate it?

I like it.

#4. Share a dessert recipe.

My favorite flan.

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp cornstarch
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Caramel:
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, cook over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and boil(no stirring), until caramel is a medium brown color. Pour the caramel into mold.
Flan:
Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, 2 tbsp. sugar, cornstarch, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Put into the mold. Place in a large roasting pan. Pour HOT water in the roasting pan until it is about 1 inch deep. Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes. Chill for several hours or overnight.

To unmold you can 1) run a sharp knife around the rims and gently shake to loosen or 2) place in a bath of hot water for a few seconds until sides loosen. Invert onto a plate.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I never heard of eating popcorn with milk. That blows me away.

Anonymous said...

I love flan, but I'm too intimidated to make it myself.

Anonymous said...

I recently found some little metal bowls on sale at Ross. I had no idea what I might want to use them for - I just like them. Well, duh, they're going to make great flan molds when I try your recipe!

valmg said...

Thanks for playing! Stumbled.

Anonymous said...

Popcorn in milk just is not right lol

As for the flan? Well, considering I managed to burn some rolls in the oven last night it's best all round if I stay away from it. I can't cook anything in that thing without burning it :/