Thursday, December 23, 2004

Josef Dotcom Update

I can't think of anything as terrifying to a mother than to have her baby in an intensive care unit, much less a neo-natal one. However, I have been a mommy for a little over 24 hours, so there may be worse.

So, yes, Josef moved to the NICU around 2 this afternoon. He is just so willful and determined that he could not keep his oxygen levels at a normal range. They moved him so that they could put in a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) tube, which is essentially a tube in his nose that forces more air in to his lungs.

He has so many wires and tubes, but he is not on a ventilator. He had a temper tantrum just a few hours ago, which caused yet another tube to be added, seems that forcing all that air into his body also manages to put air into his tummy... air+tummy=GAS! So, this new tube helps relieve that pressure, especially since he isn't putting much else into his system other than sugar water.

I did manage to get about 12 ounces of colostrum for him, and it is being predicted that he may have his first meal on Christmas... So, thank goodness for machines to do this job for him. I am hoping I can get some more for him by the time I leave tomorrow evening.

So, I am so emotional,, my hormones are askew, and I am crying all the time for all sorts of reasons. I am healing well, and have great nurses in postpartum. Josef is so much more handsome now that he has a normal color and is not panting instead of breathing. He has the most incredible hair, it is so soft I just can't stop stroking his head when they let me touch him. He has not dropped too much weight... but then, I am not sure what he is weighing now.

Still no middle name. We are working on it, just not much time to have this discussion.

No comments: