Thursday, March 16, 2006

Whereupon I have found I have a lisp

ThToast if you will...

I try hard to find things that are nice, sometimes I think it is a poor reflection on me on how difficult it is to find them...

So, today's TTOAST goes to school crossing guards...
They are the one job, where you can almost guarantee that if you wave at them, they will wave back.

I realized this driving in to work today, when I noticed that the crossing guard by my home waved at every car that was in front of me as it passed... she waved at me too.
She smiled and waved... what a thing to do, some days, that may be the nicest thing that could happen to someone, that is an important job. I can't imagine it is in their job description, so it is a very nice touch.

When I first moved to the US, my crossing guard was named "Val", short for Valentino... a large (to my 5th grade eyes) retired Italian man that drove a huge Cadillac. Since I went to a different school, his "station" was my bus stop. So there were days when we spent quite a bit of time with him. He was one of the funniest people. He always made us laugh, that went very far for me, I was new to this country, he was semi old school Italian from back east and he seemed to understand what this gangly girl was all about as she tried to adjust to her new country... I have always thought back fondly on him.


Tags:

No comments: