Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Sanctimonious

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
adj.

Feigning piety or righteousness: “a solemn, unsmiling, sanctimonious old iceberg that looked like he was waiting for a vacancy in the Trinity” (Mark Twain).

sancti·moni·ous·ly adv.
sancti·moni·ous·ness n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

sanctimonious.

sanctimonious adj : excessively or hypocritically pious; "a sickening sanctimonious smile" [syn: holier-than-thou, pietistic, pietistical, pharisaic, pharisaical, self-righteous]
Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University



I find this to be an intriguing word.

It was noted that I was not an enthusiastic supporter of this post by its writer.

So I told him why, though I feel like the Bible verse I left him tells it all.

(Eph 4:29-32 NASB) Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

And since it appears that he is unable to interpret the Word... I will tell him what this verse says to me...
It was reminding him that his is not the place to sit in judgement, his is not the place to let bitterness and such rest and his IS the place to bring kindness and forgiveness.

2 comments:

Amigo said...

You make statements and fail to provide evidence. Not much justice in the court of Blair.

You complain that I judged, yet you judge me. You imply that I slander, yet you lander me with sanctimonious. You say that I am unable to interpret the Word, then you give your own private interpretation. You speak of forgivness and yet put up this post.

Use the mind God gave you and present your arguments.

Becci said...

I am a big fan of that verse too.