Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sarahs Zimmer by Maurice Sendak and Doris Orgel, a childhood book that is fondly remembered

My mother bought me this book so that I could practice my ability to read in German. I was approximately 9 or so and we bought it at my most favorite bookstore ever, Libri Mundi, in Quito.

The thing that I loved about this story, aside from its glorious black and white illustrations, is that it was about a little girl who puts a bolt lock on her door and how it changes the way she relates to her surroundings. I used to think I was that little girl, learning a lesson on the pages of a book. I still have that book somewhere, packed in boxes of books from long ago... but it is a book I have treasured.

I have only been able to find it on the Amazon.com site for Germany and I forgot to see if I could find it when I was last in Austria.

It is funny that the books I most fondly recall from my childhood are due to its illustrations... another being D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths.

No comments: