Friday, May 30, 2008

Newton was a bit of an arse

The Scientists: A History of Science Told Through the Lives of Its Greatest Inventors The Scientists: A History of Science Told Through the Lives of Its Greatest Inventors by John Gribbin


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
I started out loving this book, it gave glimpses into the men who helped form science. When we approached the modern era, a time when some of the scientists discussed are still alive possibly, the tone changed... the book stopped being about the people and more only about the science. It was this change that threw me off... I suppose there is a valid reason to not continue the quirks to include something like Richard Dawkins has had a propensity to wear short shorts in public places (which I have witnessed), but it was precisely that the insights into scientists like Newton and Linnaeus were so fascinating to me.

Plus the soap box on the end about how sociologists and historians malign science by not giving it its merited status and instead "consider" it as not quite theory and merely subject to the whims of people... I thought that was unnecessary.


View all my reviews.

No comments: