Monday, September 27, 2010

Heresy

Apparently, referring to Jesus Christ as "very important" when speaking to a Christian borders on heresy.

I guess my heretical nature is once again confirmed. Of course, I also do not see heresy as something that is always a bad thing.

Of course I am accepting of all the applicable definitions for heretic when I declare myself so.

Heretic:

3.anyone who does not conform to an established attitude, doctrine, or principle.(dictionary.com)

2. a person who holds unorthodox opinions in any field (Collins English Dictionary)

Oh, and for a bit more background:


early 14c., from Fr. hérétique  (14c.), from Church L. hereticus , from Gk. hairetikos  "able to choose," the verbal adj. of hairein  (Online Etymology Dictionary).

One who challenges the doctrines of an established church.(The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy)


As an agnostic, I fall into those categories by default. I am also OK with it.

No comments: